Sunday, July 4, 2010

World Cup Thoughts

I don't know about you, but the World Cup has me hooked. Consider me a huge soccer/futbol fan. Beforehand; I never quite understood the appeal of the sport. But after seeing a majority of the games in the World Cup, I finally get it. I love the artistry of the game. The beauty and difficulty of scoring a goal. The drama of the penalty kicks. The magic tricks some of the guys play with the ball. I also enjoy the fact that the game will only last about two hours (baring sudden death penalty kicks). And that their are no timeouts/very few replays/and the clock keeps running.

But the moment that truly won me over was the same moment that inspired United States fans around the country. Yes, I'm talking about that moment. During the 91st minute of the Algeria game. Right around 11:51 am EST. The greatest goal in US Soccer history. Landon Donovan who nails home the rebound and sent fans into a frenzy. I can't say enough of the goal. Mainly because I missed it at the time. I was on a plane about to take off for Mexico, but I was following on my phone. I saw ESPN refresh, US 1 - Algeria - 0, and knew it was a huge moment even without seeing it live. All I could think about for the next five hours was seeing the highlight in my hotel room. But in Mexico, the game was just another World Cup game being played. Much like how the America's ESPN wouldn't go crazy over an amazing Uruguay game. Finally sometime during a quick recap on CNN, I finally saw the clip. But it was just a clip. I didn't fully comprehend the moment until I got back home. Until I saw the YouTube clips that Bill Simmons so nicely linked to in his article. I saw the crowds reactions. And you know what? I've seen it at least thirty times. And every time it still gets me. It sends chills up my spine. It makes me proud to be an American. And as it writer and sports fan, it makes me want to put the moment in context.

Because very few times can you remember when a sport took off or returned to prominence.

In Basketball, it was when Bird-Magic met in the NCAA championship in 1979.

In Baseball, it was in 1998 when McGwire and Sosa took steroids and blasted some baseballs out of the park. (Baseball was always popular after all)

In Swimming, it was in 2008 when Micheal Phelps won 8 gold medals.

In Hockey, I wouldn't dare say it was near the Eruzione goal in Lake Placid in 1980. But it's close to the Zach Parise goal scored in the nail biting final of the US-Canada Hockey Gold Medal Game at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Think about it. Parise scored off a rebound, just like Donovan. Parise was the star of the American run to the gold medal game, just like Donovan was the star of the Americans run to the round of 16. Neither was a game ender (aka a walk off)...Parise scored with 24.4 seconds to play, while Donovan scored in the 91st minute (meaning 3 minutes were still left to be played). You could even make the parallel to the Parise goal only taking the game to overtime, where the US eventually lost...and Donovan's goal only taking the US team to the next round of the World Cup, where the team eventually lost to Ghana.

Still, that was the moment. That goal will mark the exact moment that soccer became relevant in the United States. I'm hooked. So are about 20 million others. It's finally arrived as a respected sport here and one that people will want to play and watch. So maybe not right away...or even in four years in time for the next World Cup, but soccer will see a rise in young kids playing. There will be a great American soccer player. Someone comparable to the Christian Ronaldo's and Lionel Messi's of the world. Why? Because somewhere out there...there is a kid blessed with tremendous athletic ability and the intangible soccer gene, who will actually decide to play soccer and work on the game. He won't play baseball or basketball or football. You don't believe me...baseball is already losing African American's as it sees a rise in Latino ballplayers. Football studies are showing that their is tremendous brain damage that can be done even while playing as a youth. Kids will turn to other sports, whether they be Lacross, tennis, golf, or soccer. It will happen. And you know what...there will be many who decide to play soccer. They will be inspired by Landon Donovan's goal and by the 2010 US team in general. And they will lead the American soccer revolution.

I'm writing this over a week since the goal was scored. ESPN decided to replay the game and I watched it again. And even though I knew the outcome, I still was nervous and tense in the moments leading up to the goal. And when it finally happened...it still gave me chills. It'll be a goal that I show my kids. And who knows, maybe they'll choose to play soccer too. So thank you Mr. Donovan.

No comments:

Post a Comment