Thursday, June 3, 2010

Weekly Random Thoughts: 6/4/10

1. With the NBA playoffs tipping off as I am typing this, please check out another podcast featuring yours truly. My buddy Brock and I breakdown the Lakers - Celtics series like only two experts can.
http://brockangeles.tumblr.com/

2. So my girlfriend is going to watch 'Sex and the City 2: Attack of the Louboutins' this weekend with five female friends. I am debating on whether or not I should go with them. Why? Two reasons.
  • I love movies and wouldn't mind seeing the movie (feel free to call me names if you like). After all, I did see the first movie and I thought the first couple of seasons of the TV show were extremely well written and entertaining.
  • It would be quite an experience and something I could write about in my lblog. That's prime material right there.

So I don't know readers...what do you think? Should I go?

3. The great Ken Griffey Jr. retired this week. I feel the same way many baseball fans do right now: Sad to see a once great star get old and fade into the background. Glad that I got to see one of the greatest and most exciting players ever in my lifetime. Reminiscing about the time I once had the cherished Upper Deck rookie card in my collection. And wondering what could have been if he had stayed healthy and never left Seattle.

And since I'm reading Bill Simmons 'The Book of Basketball', I feel it appropriate to say that if anybody ever wrote 'The Book of Baseball' and tried to rank the players using a pyramid...Griffey Jr. would be one heck of an argument. He's considered one of the greatest, yet never played in a World Series. Griffey had amazing stats, memorable plays, and the hardware and records. So does that make him the equivalent of Karl Malone or Elgin Baylor? I don't know...baseball is more difficult to compare than basketball. I think football would be more appropriate. Many great NFL players never won the Super Bowl. So after some consideration, I'm going to say that Griffey Jr. is more like Barry Sanders. Both could have owned a presitgious record (most home runs for Griffey, most rushing yards for Sanders), but never quite got there for varying reasons (Griffey due to injuries, Sanders due to early retirement). Yet, both meant so much to their franchises and the cities they played in. Both were also known for their breath-taking abilities...even having that one identifiably picturesque skill (Griffey's sweet swing...Sanders cut back ability). In addition, both never won the big one, but made it to the playoffs a few times. And both are regarded highly by their peers, fans, and media. Lastly, both are players people in my generation will always say, "I was lucky to see him play during my lifetime."

We'll miss you Griffey Jr., but we'll always remember that sweet swing.

4. Caught an early screening of 'Get Him to the Greek', which arrives in a theater near you on Friday, June 4th. I had really high hopes for this movie, but thought it was only OK. It's definitely raunchy and has a few funny moments. But it's a bit long and probably something you'll quickly forget as soon as you leave the theater.

My only question is, "Where does Russell Brand go from here?". I mean, he is Aldous Snow. Can he only play that type of character? I guess I just don't see him playing a straight laced guy, so I'm curious to see what his next movie role will be.

5. A buddy of mine, Doug, made the argument that Lebron has to go to New York because the NBA needs New York and Los Angeles to be good. It's in the best interest of the league. Obviously, the Lakers are fine with Kobe and Gasol (both of whom have a few years left in the tank). But the Knicks haven't recovered from the Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas era's.

While I agree with this argument, I think the answer is not Lebron in NY. But rather Dwayne Wade needs to go to New York. He'll bring a similar level of excitement and competiveness. That'll allow LeBron to stay in Cleveland. Then just give Wade some help (Knicks have the money)...and now you're talking. New York will be good again. Cleveland will be a contender every year. So will Orlando as long as Howard is there. Boston has it's next star in Rajon Rondo. That just leaves Chicago...and Rose and Noah gives them a good foundation. Problem solved. You're welcome, David Stern.

6. My current favorite term to use is 'Gum Dick'. You know what a gum dick is. Just think of that nice person who goes to Costco and buys a bulk sized package of Trident. That person then carries around at least one pack of Trident everywhere he/she goes. And everytime he/she takes out a piece, he/she always is nice and offers a piece to every one standing or sitting in the vicinity. Because that's the nice thing to do. Unfortunately, you always have that one person who just has to say no. Becaus that person is...a 'Gum Dick'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GITSZUEqaL8

7. Did anyone check out my guest blog last week? That was some of my finest work in the blogosphere world. Guess my readership will never grow...

8. I've noticed that I spend a lot of time at work in the bathroom. And there's always a story or a funny/weird thing that happens in there. Whether it was the previously mentioned (see April's weekly random thoughts post) question of whether you say 'bless you' when in the stall...to the guy who doesn't wash his hands...to the guy who has to answer his phone while on the toilet or even at the urinal...to the strange conversations you walk into between your boss and manager while you are awkwardly sitting in the stall taking a #2. I think this would make for a great blog idea..."Shit that happens when I go to the bathroom at work." Heck, I might even make something I write about each week.

Anyway, this weeks story:

There are two urinals at work. One is higher up than the other. I guess this is for people of varying heights. One day I walk in and the higher urinal is occupied. I'm not one to wait, so I walk up to lower urinal and start to do my business. The guy next to me gets done and is quickly replaced by another guy who walks in with perfect timing. The new guy standing next to me unzips and their is a brief moment of silence...you know, except for the sound of us peeing. Then the guy looks over at me and says, "You know that urinal is for little boys. This one is for men." Another pause. I smile and give a fake laugh. Then I turned and pissed on his shoe. I zipped up...and said sarcastically, "Good one". What a 'Gum Dick'.

(PS - I made up the last three sentences.)

That's all I got for this week. Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend every one.

2 comments:

  1. 1) I was had! That was a Juicy Fruit commercial!

    2) SITC2 - I had a similar conundrum, what ultimately made me decide not to go was the 2.5 hour playing time.

    3) I would rather people think I am a cokehead than peepee shy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. Lebron is not after the money or publicity... He wants a crown. and at this point I feel that only Cavs and Bulls can offer that. He should definitely stay in Cleveland.

    I've been wanting Wade to go to the Knicks since he was drafted. He is an amazing player with superb PR skills. Him in NY won't get the Knicks a ring, but they will now be playoff contenders.

    Love the Urinal story, but I'd much rather you end the story with you saying; "Yeah, but I'm the only one here with a man dick. You got a little boys dick."

    j/k, To me, the time at the urinal is sacred. There are several unspoken rules when two guys are at the urinal maneuvering their equipment
    1) the silence must not be broken. (even if you cough, you're gay)
    2)your eyes must stay straight ahead. (This is not the time to be curious)
    3)be careful not to splash yourself.
    4)If a friend is left behind when you are finished, only when he is finished with his work can you resume conversation.

    ReplyDelete